Product Liability | Orlando Accident & Injury Blog - Part 2
In a landmark move by the Swedish furniture mega-company Ikea, the family of a child who died after a dresser fell on them will be receiving $46 million as a settlement. Spokespeople for Ikea indicated that they understood there was no amount of money that could make up for the tragic removal of a child. The massive settlement is currently the largest wrongful death involving a child settlement that has occurred in the history of the United States.
The vaping craze that swept the nation over the past few years has become a noticeable public health disaster, with numerous incidents of severe injury and death occurring due to the products. In Florida, a second death due to health complications from vaping was reported as having taken place this December.
The sale of several popular over-the-counter prescription drugs that purports to reduce stomach acid within certain individual has been halted after the US Food and Drug Administration in concert with the European Medicines Agency released reports indicating that batches of the drugs contain an impurity. Specifically, reports from numerous news agencies throughout the U.S. and Europe indicated that the ranitidine products manufactured by the company Sandoz for the parent drug company Novartis contain traces of NDMA. NDMA is a chemical that has undergone numerous and intensive tests, and the results of these tests indicated that NDMA likely causes cancer within humans.
It appears that a malfunction within a motor scooter’s braking system caused the death of a single person in a city close to Tampa on the night of Saturday, July 13th. Reports from the St. Petersburg Police Department indicated that the incident took place sometime around 10:00 at night, and that only the single vehicle was involved.
This past weekend, the El Monterey corporation issued a recall affecting over 246,000 pounds of their popular frozen breakfast wraps and burritos. The company stated that this recall came as the direct result of fears from the El Monterey corporation that their product may have been contaminated with small objects. Specifically, the corporation said that the objects one might now expect to find in certain types of its breakfast offerings were small rocks.
Fans of the pasta company called Ragú received a surprise when the company that owns Ragú, Mizkan America, issued a broad recall on a large swath of its product line over fears of contamination. In an announcement made on Saturday, June 15th, Mizkan America believes that there is a chance that a number of their products may contain slivers or splinters of plastic. While the company said that no consumer complaints or issues have yet been reported, and that the recall was made out of a desire to be overly-cautious, the fact remains that there are an untold number of people who have purchased Ragú sauces who remain unaware as to the potential health hazards.
The family of a 70-year-old woman from Volusia County is enraged at the lack of action taken by the KIA company as well as the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration for continuing to delay any action pertaining to assisting the woman after her home was destroyed and her pets killed after yet another KIA vehicle exploded in fire.
Yet another KIA is at the center of a vehicle fire that occurred suddenly when the car was not even on, and that nearly resulted in the destruction of a home. According to reports from the Kissimmee Fire Department, the incident in question happened sometime on Thursday, June 6th, while the 2017 KIA Sportage was parked in the driveway of a private residence. The couple that owned the car was inside the home at the time, but they were not the first to become aware of the fire.
On Thursday, February 7th, a couple in Polk County filed a class-action lawsuit that targeted Kia Motors. According to the couple, the lawsuit relates to a frightening incident that they experienced back in August of 2018 while they were driving their 2013 Kia Sorento down a road that was not named in the news stories conveying information regarding the lawsuit.
A massive recall recently affected Whole Foods stores throughout eight states, including Florida, after it was discovered that a batch of baby spinach that was used in numerous prepared salads and other food options might contain salmonella. The reports relating to this issue stated that the spinach all came from the same location: Satur Farms.