One Killed in Fatal Trucking Accident on State Road 50
A grisly trucking accident on State Road 50 in Orlando killed one person and critically injured another after the car they were traveling in slid under and became pinned by a tractor-trailer. Florida Highway Patrol accident investigators have released few details about the accident but acknowledge that the accident occurred on Colonial Drive at Mercy Drive around 6 a.m. on April 29. The accident closed the westbound lanes of SR 50 for several hours while investigators examined the scene and workers cleared debris from the roadway. Orlando police reopened the westbound lanes of SR 50 at 1 p.m.
When big rigs weighing up to 80,000 collide with much smaller passenger vehicles weighing a few thousand pounds, the results are often deadly for the occupants of the smaller vehicle. Tractor-trailers require much longer distances to come to a complete stop, have much higher centers of gravity and are prone to tipping over and jackknifing and present many other hazards to smaller vehicles, including these:
- Drivers who are poorly trained or lack proper licensing
- Drivers who disregard safety regulations by working too many hours without receiving mandatory rest between driving sessions
- Drivers who talk and text on cell phones while driving
- Trucking companies that trim expenses by not following recommended and required maintenance schedules, greatly increasing the chances that brakes and other crucial equipment will fail
- Trucking companies that use substandard replacement parts to save money
- Drivers and trucking companies that overload trucks in order to make more money on each trip
- Drivers who speed, drive too fast for road conditions and otherwise operate their trucks in a negligent manner
- Drivers who operate their trucks while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
If you or a member of your immediate family has been injured in a trucking accident, you need and deserve to be represented by an experienced Orlando trucking accident lawyer with a proven record of success handling these cases. James O. Cunningham has successfully represented injured people since 1977, and few Orlando personal injury attorneys have more experience or a better record of helping people injured in trucking accidents. If you have questions about your rights and legal options and would like to schedule a free consultation with Mr. Cunningham, call him today at 877-FL-INJURY (877-354-6587). He has law offices throughout Central Florida and can meet with you at the office closest to your location.
James O. Cunningham
Since 1977, personal injury lawyer James Cunningham has provided effective legal advocacy to people who are injured through the negligent actions of another person or entity throughout the Central Florida area. He fights to obtain recoveries for his clients’ physical and emotional pain and suffering and pursues his clients’ personal injury cases with a commitment to excellence and impeccable preparation.