Range Stove Recalled Due To Electrocution Hazard
A popular freestanding electric range stove/oven has been recalled due to electrical shock and electrocution hazards, as reported by the CPSC’s website. According to the recall, the components inside the range causing the electrical problem are not limited to one brand, but are instead spread across two companies’ products: Blomberg and Summit. The recall notice states that this recall, which became effective as of May 19th, was a direct result of a plumber being electrocuted by a range stove from one of the above mentioned companies.
The notice states that the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission deemed that nearly 6,300 ranges would need to be repaired by the manufacturer in order to ensure that the safety of the consumer was protected. The CPSC states that the problem with the ranges stems from a faulty wiring problem wherein a certain screw was never installed during the device’s manufacture. This screw’s purpose would be to ensure that the grounding strap remained secure in the unit. With the grounding strap potentially unsecured, the entire stove could easily become a conduit for electricity, posing a tremendous risk to any individual who attempts to use the stove.
The case which brought the problem with these stoves to the attention of the companies who manufacture them is that of a New Hampshire plumber. Last summer, this 52-year-old professional was working near or on one of these stoves when he happened to contact the stove while simultaneously being in contact with an object sufficiently grounded nearby. The result is that the electricity streamed out of the stove and through the plumber’s body in an attempt to reach whatever was acting as the ground. The plumber died as a result of his injuries.
All stoves registered as the Blomberg BERU 24200 SS, BERU 24100 SS, and the Summit CLRE24 are covered in this recall. Purchases were made through AJ Madison, State Street Discount, Amazon.com, and several other stores throughout the nation between October 2012 and March 2017. The cost of these stoves runs from $1,000 to $1,500. Anyone who believes they own one of the affected stoves is strongly encouraged to refrain from contacting the stove until their electrical supply is fully terminated. Then, the consumer should reach out to the Turkish company Arçelik A.S. (manufacturers of the stoves in question) in order to arrange for a completely free repair.
James O. Cunningham
Since 1977, personal injury lawyer James Cunningham has provided effective legal advocacy to people who are injured through the negligent actions of another person or entity throughout the Central Florida area. He fights to obtain recoveries for his clients’ physical and emotional pain and suffering and pursues his clients’ personal injury cases with a commitment to excellence and impeccable preparation.
Connect with James O. Cunningham on Google+