York International has issued a recall for nearly 226,000 gas furnaces for manufactured homes made by Unitary Products Group (UPG) due to fire concerns with some models. The furnaces affected by the recall were sold under the Coleman, Coleman Evcon and Red T brands and were subject to a similar recall in 2004. York has said that some models are prone to overheating, which can cause the heat exchanger to crack, creating openings that can allow flames to reach the outside of the furnace. The company reports that if this occurs, drywall, paneling and other nearby combustibles can catch fire, which poses a serious fire and smoke hazard to anyone living in the home.
A Florida distributor has recalled around 324,000 bamboo torches due to a sharp edge on a fuel canister that holds the wick, which can cause laceration when owners attempt to remove the wick for lighting. Atico International USA Inc. of Fort Lauderdale, FL distributes the Chinese-made torches, and the firm has received reports of five people experiencing injury due to the sharp edge, one of whom required stitches to close the wound. Four victims reported cuts from the sharp edge as they attempted to retrieve a wick that had fallen into the fuel canister.