Substantial Recovery for Nursing Home Abuse, Orange County, Florida
Mr. Green (not his real name), age 85, lived in a nursing home. His wife, Mrs. Green, age 84, visited her husband daily and they enjoyed their life together. Mr. Green was still mentally alert and vibrant, but had physical problems and suffered numerous falls at the nursing home. Mr. Green suffered these falls despite an order by his physician to use restraints on Mr. Green when he was in bed or in a wheelchair. In one of the falls, Mr. Green suffered a broken hip. The nursing home neglected to treat the fractured hip for over a week. When finally discovered, Mr. Green received treatment but experienced a slow and poor recovery and died eighteen months after the fall. The nursing home claimed he died of medical problems unrelated to his fall.
Florida's laws include a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents as well as enforcement provisions. These laws are intended to protect senior citizens and provide dignity and a quality of life. Jim Cunningham was able to achieve a confidential settlement of this case on behalf of Mr. Green's estate for $300,000. Cases such as this send a clear message to the nursing home industry to act responsibly and professionally toward its residents.
View More: Personal Injury Success Stories
Medical Malpractice Blog
- Miami Nurse Wins Medical Malpractice Suit, Awarded $21.6 Million
May 8, 2017
- Decision Challenges Florida’s Cap on Medical Malpractice Claims
July 21, 2015
- Florida Medical Malpractice and Your Rights
December 26, 2014
- Florida Supreme Court to hear another Case that could Test Limits in Medical Malpractice Cases
June 17, 2014
- Florida Judge Rules that New State Medical Negligence Law is Contrary to Federal Law
December 11, 2013
Verdicts & Settlements
- Newborn Against Hospital
Failure to Inform Parents:
$4.5 Million Recovery
- Negligent Prescription of Drugs:
- Wrongful Death
- Wrongful Death
Failure to Timely Diagnosis:
- Failure to Diagnose
- business5Mr. Cunningham is an excellent and knowledgeable attorney.
I would and have recommended Mr. Cunningham as an attorney. I am extremely happy with the service he has provided for me and my family. I will definately use Mr. Cunningham in the future if I ever need an attorney again.
- John, a Personal Injury client0.3