Florida Pedestrian Accidents
Have you suffered an injury as a pedestrian? Maybe a vehicle hit you?
Pedestrian accidents are a common way to be injured. In 2012, 4,743 pedestrians were killed in traffic accidents in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Over 76,000 were injured. Older adults are more likely to be involved in a pedestrian accident, but a vehicle can strike anyone crossing the street.
What recourse do I have if I was hit by a vehicle?
In Florida, you are entitled to compensation for economic losses. Florida is a no-fault insurance state.
If you have recently been injured in a pedestrian accident, you need to contact a Florida personal injury attorney. An attorney can help you file a Personal Injury Policy claim. This is money that you are eligible to receive quickly. Once that money has been depleted, an attorney can work with you and pursue other legal avenues for compensation.
Can I file a lawsuit against the driver?
If the driver was clearly negligent, you can pursue a lawsuit and try to receive greater compensation. A driver is expected to exercise a reasonable amount of care while operating a vehicle.
Negligence happens when:
- The driver of the vehicle had a duty to drive safely;
- The driver breached this duty, either by disregarding traffic laws, not paying attention, or driving under the influence of alcohol; or
- The pedestrian sustained serious injuries.
What if I was partially at fault?
Under Florida law, you could still be eligible to receive compensation if you were partially at fault. A jury or insurance company can calculate the percentage of fault and allocate damages. If you were 50% at fault for the accident, you are eligible for 50% of a settlement or award of damages.
What should I do?
Florida pedestrian accident lawyer James O. Cunningham is a personal injury attorney and has extensive experience with Florida’s no-fault insurance. He can help you understand your rights if you have been injured in an accident. Call us today at 877-FL-INJURY (877-354-6587)
- Pedestrian Killed in Two-Vehicle Car Accident in Brevard County
October 24, 2020
- St. Cloud Crossing Guard Seriously Injured in Near-Fatal Crosswalk Collision
October 12, 2020
- Pedestrian Killed in Early Morning Orange County Crash
October 9, 2020
- Kissimmee Woman Killed in Bizarre Pedestrian Accident on Interstate 4
September 27, 2020
- 73-Year-Old Woman Killed in Daytona Beach Pedestrian Accident
September 23, 2020
- business5Walt Disney World Claims Department Employee
“I was involved in a motor vehicle accident where the other driver ran a red light and my car was a total loss. I was referred to James Cunningham due to the fact that our attorney’s have been very impressed with James Cunningham’s work. This fact turned out to be very true as Mr. Cunningham helped me win my case to a full and maximum settlement.”
- a Personal Injury client0.3