Wrong Way Accident Attorneys
Did you know that car accidents are the number one cause of fatal accidents in America? Every year, thousands and thousands of people across the country climb into their cars like every other day and never climb back out. In Florida alone, the car accidents account for nearly 10% of the national average. In 2015, 374,342 automobile accidents happened in Florida. This is over 30,000 more than happened in 2014. What this statistic doesn’t make clear is that accidents usually involve more than one car. 374,342 is a staggering number of accidents, but the actual number of drivers involved in 2015 car accidents was 630,550. This is almost 100,000 more than the numbers for 2014. Averaged out, Florida saw 1,025 car accidents every day of the year.
Car accidents come in all shapes in sizes, from the sideswipe to the rear-end collision. Out of all the various accidents, none is more deadly than the head-on collision. That might be obvious. What is a little less known is that most head-on collisions are caused by drivers attempting to drive the wrong way. In Florida, there were nearly 1,500 recorded wrong-way accidents with almost 100 of them leading to fatalities.
A wrong-way accident, as is perhaps apparent, is when one of the drivers involved is driving on the opposite side of where they should be. This can happen on the highway, if a driver mistakes an off ramp for an on ramp, or on rural roads. Furthermore, there are a variety of reasons why a wrong-way driver might have gotten there:
- Intoxication: The 2015 statistics indicate that nearly 50% of drivers involved in wrong-way crashes were intoxicated in some way.
- Poor display of signage: While signs reading “wrong way” and “do not enter” are always posted where needed, there might be circumstances that make them less visible, especially at night.
- Distracted driving: If you take your eyes off of the road for even two seconds, anything might happen. It is not uncommon for wrong-way driving accidents to occur because a driver was looking at a cellphone instead of the blacktop.
Regardless of the reason, wrong-way collisions are extremely deadly. Because of this, traffic authorities throughout Florida have ramped up safety programs in an attempt to stop wrong-way drivers. These include various electronic sensors that transmit information back to the police when a wrong-way driver is detected and cameras that capture digital images of the cars involved. Still, wrong-way car accidents keep happening and will keep happening until the self-driving car technology advances to a state where human error is no longer a factor.
Even in wrong-way accidents where no lives were lost, it is still important to recognize that a traffic accident is a life changing moment. Injuries that may occur as a result are often undetectable until days or weeks later, and the initial medical bills and insurance costs can be exorbitant. For this reason, many people who find themselves victims of a car accident—especially one involving a driver going the wrong way—are looking for ways to achieve financial compensation from the individual(s) involved. Throughout Florida, people in this situation have turned to the Law Offices of James O. Cunningham, P.A. for the help and support that they need during this time.
A 40+-year veteran in the courts, James O. Cunningham has dedicated his professional life to individuals and families who have been wronged by the irresponsibility of others. Whether dealing with traumatic brain injuries or wrongful death, Mr. Cunningham and his team pour their knowledge and energy into ensuring that you are able to focus your energies on healing and recovery rather than on worrying about how to pay the bills now that you are unable to work. Some of the most extreme financial stress that happens in a person’s life can arrive in-hand with a traumatic injury or the loss of a loved one. This means that we are supposed to wisely juggle monetary concerns with the more immediate reality of our own suffering. For most of us, this is practically impossible.
If you are reading this because you have found yourself in a situation where a wrong-way driver has inflicted damage to your life, call 877-FL-INJURY (877-354-6587) today in order to schedule a completely free consultation with Mr. Cunningham.
- 2020 Marks Large Decrease in Automobile Accidents in Florida
January 19, 2021
- Pedestrians Leap to Safety After Van Careens Across Central Florida Beach
January 19, 2021
- Driver Charged with DUI Manslaughter for Role in Fatal Lakeland Semi Collision
January 17, 2021
- Pedestrian Dies After Being Struck by Multiple Cars in Orlando
January 14, 2021
- Hillsborough County Deputy Dies in Crash Near Tampa
January 14, 2021
- Winter Park Cyclist Dies After Being Struck by Numerous Cars
January 13, 2021
- business5Mr. Cunningham is an excellent and knowledgeable attorney.
I would and have recommended Mr. Cunningham as an attorney. I am extremely happy with the service he has provided for me and my family. I will definately use Mr. Cunningham in the future if I ever need an attorney again.
- John, a Personal Injury client0.3