Florida Bus Accidents
Buses can be dangerous. They are large vehicles and many times children or other passengers do not wear seatbelts, creating the potential for serious injury.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that 50 people are killed and over 1,000 people are injured each year in accidents that involve city or school buses. These crashes often occur in intercity areas for public buses and the highways for charter buses. But they can happen anywhere.
Under Florida law, public buses or charter buses are considered common carriers. The buses have a permit and offer transportation services to the public. They are under a legal obligation to provide safe transportation for their passengers, meaning buses must be maintained with the highest level of care to ensure the safe transport of passengers.
What Do I Do If I Have Been Injured in a Bus Accident?
If you were hit by a bus or were in a bus that was involved in an accident, you should take action quickly. In some cases, you are required to file legal paperwork within 30 days, and there is a statute of limitation on filing a lawsuit for injuries. To start, you need to contact a Florida personal injury attorney. Someone must examine the details of the accident and determine:
- If the bus was maintained properly;
- Whether the driver had the proper training; and
- If the driver violated any speed or other traffic laws when the accident occurred.
Children and School Bus Accidents
Children can be seriously injured in a bus accident. They are small and fragile and safety measures, like seatbelts, don’t exist on many buses. But recovering damages from a school bus accident can be difficult because a government entity often operates a school bus.
In Florida, there are restrictions on filing a claim against a government. That is why you need to contact a Florida bus accident injury attorney like James O. Cunningham. Contact him today at 877-FL-INJURY (877-354-6587) for a free initial consultation.
- Deadly Two-Car Crash in Marion County Kills Summerfield Man on U.S. 441
April 18, 2021
- Kissimmee Man Killed in Head-on Collision on Winter Garden Vineland Road
April 13, 2021
- AAA Releases Results of Study into Florida Wrong-Way Collisions
April 12, 2021
- New York Federal Judge Killed in Boca Raton Hit-and-Run Crash
April 11, 2021
- Toddler Severely Injured During Pinellas County Motorcycle Crash
April 11, 2021
- 18-Year-Old Killed in Hit-and-Run Crash on S.R. 408 Near Orlando
April 8, 2021
- business5Mr. Cunningham is an excellent and knowledgeable attorney.
I would and have recommended Mr. Cunningham as an attorney. I am extremely happy with the service he has provided for me and my family. I will definately use Mr. Cunningham in the future if I ever need an attorney again.
- John, a Personal Injury client0.3