The sudden loss of a loved one throws a family into a state of shock. Knowing that the death was preventable but for a negligent act only adds another layer of distress. Here at the Law Offices of James O. Cunningham, P.A., we offer survivors a place to turn to for legal options. Since 1977, James O. Cunningham has sought, and won, civil justice for the victims of negligence and their families.
Whether it is a Brevard County wrongful death or a wrongful death anywhere, one thing is certain. One negligent act robs a family of a lifetime. Along with the decedent, each family member also becomes an emotional and financial victim. By giving the victim a voice, a family can find the closure necessary to transition to a life without the decedent. Florida wrongful death lawyer, James O. Cunningham, helps the family cross that bridge with his compassionate manner and formidable legal skills.
Brevard County Wrongful Death Facts
By contacting Cocoa wrongful death attorney James O. Cunningham, you can schedule a consultation for complete details regarding a wrongful death lawsuit. However, here is a brief overview of the facts:
- A wrongful death is the result of a negligent act of another party or entity.
- The State of Florida prosecutes criminal actions. Florida law also provides a civil action for victims to recover economic and noneconomic compensation.
- Florida Statutes 768.16 to 768.26 govern civil wrongful death actions. These statutes collectively constitute the Florida Wrongful Death Act.
- Parties eligible for reparations include the estate of the deceased person and immediate family members. Immediate family means a spouse and minor children. In the event the decedent is not married or has no minor children, then adult children, parents, siblings, grandparents or other relations financially dependent upon the decedent may qualify.
- Negligent parties can include individuals, companies or other entities or a combination of both.
- Damages are financial and emotional losses sustained. These include, but are not limited to, medical expenses, funeral expenses, lost earnings, lost pensions, loss of companionship, loss of parental instruction and guidance and mental pain and suffering.
- Generally, you must file a wrongful death action within two years. There are a few exceptions.
Time is of the essence in a wrongful death claim. Due to the complexity of a claim involving a death, your Cocoa wrongful death attorney must have the time to prepare the claim properly. Mr. Cunningham meticulously builds his case for trial from the beginning to ensure the best possible recovery on your behalf. Beyond that, the sooner you contact an attorney, the sooner you and your family can focus on mourning your loss, knowing that a true professional is on your side.
If your family is suffering after a Brevard County wrongful death, the Law Offices of James O. Cunningham, P.A., offers a no-obligation consultation for answers to your questions and concerns about a potential wrongful death claim. He has offices conveniently located through Central Florida, as well as informational and communication tools here on his website.
- One Dies in Head-On Car Crash Close to Tampa
January 21, 2019
- 85-Year-Old Crashes Car Through Orange County Restaurant
January 21, 2019
- Charges Filed against Truck Drivers Involved in Deadly I-75 Crash
January 18, 2019
- Teenager Falls to his Death Aboard Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship
January 17, 2019
- Pedestrian Killed along Colonial Drive in Orange County
January 15, 2019
- Over 400 Contract Norovirus Aboard Royal Caribbean Ship
January 15, 2019
- business5Mr. Cunningham is an excellent and knowledgeable attorney.
I would and have recommended Mr. Cunningham as an attorney. I am extremely happy with the service he has provided for me and my family. I will definately use Mr. Cunningham in the future if I ever need an attorney again.
- John, a Personal Injury client0.3