blog home Premises Liability Fire Sweeps Through Condo Complex in Rockledge

Fire Sweeps Through Condo Complex in Rockledge

By Orlando Personal Injury Attorney on July 14, 2016

Monday morning in Rockledge is usually a fairly quiet time, but this past Monday, around 3:00 a.m., firefighters received a call directing them to 404 Ocaso Lane. When they arrived, the Rockledge Fire Department saw black smoke pouring from the bottom unit of a condominium.

Early reports indicate that the unit is owned by a young family, and that they were awakened by the barking of their Shiba Inu dog. When the family rose to see what was causing the dog to panic, they discovered that a fire had begun spreading rapidly through the kitchen. Smoke alarms were going off as well, and in the middle of all this 29-year-old Tara Zysset and her husband gathered their 4-year-old son, their four dogs, three turtles and two cats and fled the building. According to Michael Maran, a neighbor, the Zysset’s husband was running around the building, banging on everyone’s doors, urging them to leave their apartments because of the fire.

As the family waited and watched the Rockledge Fire Department battle the flames, they realized that everything they owned was now destroyed. Officials from the fire department later confirmed their worst fears by declaring the apartment a complete loss.

According to the Lori Matson, the Rockledge Police Department spokesperson, because the building is made of concrete the fire was able to be contained to the one unit rather than spreading throughout the entire complex. The unit directly above the Zysset’s experienced some minor smoke damage, but the real devastation occurred inside of the Zysset’s unit. Nothing remains except the pets and the people. The Red Cross is assisting the family in this time of loss and need, but it will be virtually impossible for them to begin replacing the things that they lost in the dawn fire.

The Florida fire marshal is currently investigating the fire, but the initial reports indicate that the flames did not start due to any suspicious behavior. The early indication is that the fire was electrical in nature and that it began in the kitchen when a dishwasher was left running throughout the night.

To set up a free initial consultation with Florida premises liability lawyer James O. Cunningham, contact us today at 877-FL-INJURY (877-354-6587).

Sources:

James O. Cunningham

Since 1977, personal injury lawyer James Cunningham has provided effective legal advocacy to people who are injured through the negligent actions of another person or entity throughout the Central Florida area. He fights to obtain recoveries for his clients’ physical and emotional pain and suffering and pursues his clients’ personal injury cases with a commitment to excellence and impeccable preparation.

Connect with James O. Cunningham on Google+

Related Articles:

Martindale Hubbell | Highest Ethical standing

Client Testimonials

5 StarsMr. Cunningham is an excellent and knowledgeable attorney.
I would and have recommended Mr. Cunningham as an attorney. I am extremely happy with the service he has provided for me and my family. I will definately use Mr. Cunningham in the future if I ever need an attorney again. John, a Personal Injury client

Read Reviews