Holly Hill Wrongful Death Lawyers
Located along the Halifax River and in close proximity to Daytona Beach and Ormond Beach, the city of Holly Hill, Florida is a popular tourist destination in and of itself. As a northern suburb of Daytona Beach and a simple walk across the bridge to the Atlantic Ocean, both locals and tourists alike flock to the area for fun and sun.
With the famous US Highway 1 running through town and being only a few short blocks away from the always busy Interstate 95, Holly Hill sees its fair share of traffic. As a result, the area also sees numerous automobile accidents. Whenever one of these motor vehicle accidents results in a death, Florida’s wrongful death statute may come into play.
What is Wrongful Death?
A wrongful death is a death that is caused by the fault of another person. For example, a death caused by someone driving under the influence may be considered a wrongful death under the law. But regardless of what caused the wrongful death, in order to qualify under the law the key factor that must be proved is negligence. Thus, in order to file a wrongful death lawsuit against another person or persons, one must first prove that the death was caused by the negligent action(s) of another. Thus, if someone driving drunk hits an oncoming car and kills the other driver or passenger, then that death will be found to have been caused by the negligent (and illegal) at of the another.
When negligence can be shown as the cause of the death and that death caused a loss to the decedent’s surviving family members, then, according to Florida law, those surviving family members have grounds to seek damages by filing a wrongful death suit. According to Florida law, in most instances, surviving family members is defined as being a spouse or children.
Wrongful Death Damages
In a wrongful death law suit, surviving family members can seek compensation for such damages as:
- Such expenses as medical and funeral bills
- Lost benefits line insurance
- Loss of inheritance
- Pain, suffering or mental anguish
- Loss of companionship, care or protection
- Punitive damages (damages intended to punish the wrongdoer and prevent them from harming others)
If your family has lost a loved one in a Holly Hill motor vehicle accident, it is highly advised that you start by contacting an experienced Florida wrongful death attorney and discuss your legal options. The attorneys at the Law Offices of James O. Cunningham, P.A. know that many families do not know who to turn to when facing the unexpected loss of a family member. That’s why when choosing a wrongful death attorney you look for a firm with the experience and capability to handle your particular case.
Contact the Law Offices of James O. Cunningham, P.A. today and schedule your free initial consultation.
- Charlotte County Deputy Killed During DUI Crash on Interstate 75
December 1, 2022
- Local Driver Killed During SUV Crash at Melbourne Firework Store
November 30, 2022
- Passenger Killed During SUV Test Drive Crash in Winter Haven
November 28, 2022
- Motorcyclist Killed During Guardrail Crash in Pinellas County
November 26, 2022
- Orlando Hit-and-Run Bicycle Crash Caught on Neighborhood Camera
November 24, 2022
- Teen Driver Arrested for Involvement in Fatal St. Petersburg Car Crash
November 21, 2022
- business5Mr. Cunningham is an excellent and knowledgeable attorney.
I would and have recommended Mr. Cunningham as an attorney. I am extremely happy with the service he has provided for me and my family. I will definately use Mr. Cunningham in the future if I ever need an attorney again.
- John, a Personal Injury client0.3