The Villages Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
What You Need to Know About Elderly Abuse
Was a parent, dependent or loved one hurt while in the care of a third-party provider, such as a retirement home? As the elderly population increases, so too does the unfortunate issue of elderly abuse. Injuries related to malnutrition, bedsores, neglect and physical, verbal and sexual abuse are all common forms of elderly abuse.
According to one definition, elderly abuse constitutes a single or repeated act or lack of appropriate action that occurs within any relationship where there is an expectation of trust and which causes harm or distress to the elderly person. More so, according to some statistics, it is estimated that four percent of all elderly people will be the victim of some form of elderly abuse. This equates to over 300,000 people over the age of 65!
Specific forms of elderly abuse can include:
- Physical, including the derivation of food, physical punishment and the use of restraining devices
- Mental Abuse, such as verbal abuse and intimidation
- Attorney Abuse, which involves attorneys convincing an elderly person to unknowingly sign over their assets to them
- Ulcers, commonly referred to as bedsores, caused by some form of neglect that leaves the individual laying in a bed too long
- Neglect, which can lead to pressure sores, malnutrition, dehydration and other ailments
- Financial, such as illegally or fraudulently taking an elderly person’s money or valuables
These types of elderly abuse can happen anywhere, including nursing homes, hospitals, adult day cares and even within the comfort of one’s own home. Regardless of how or where the abuse happens, the law protects elderly people from all abuse and specifically allows for the individual to be compensated for their injuries.
To protect your loved one’s right to compensation – and to protect them from further abuse – it is essential that you first contact an attorney experienced with elderly abuse claims. Since 1977, James O. Cunningham has been helping elderly abuse victims from The Villages and Marion County receive justice and fair compensation. If your loved one has been the victim of elderly abuse, call the Law Offices of James O. Cunningham, P.A. at 352-419-0825 for your free, initial consultation.
- Exploring Exactech Recalls: What You Need to Know About Defective Medical Devices
October 11, 2023
- Kratom Wrongful Death Lawsuits in Florida – What You Need To Know
September 25, 2023
- Florida Family Awarded Millions in Kratom Wrongful Death Lawsuit
September 22, 2023
- Orlando Man Killed During Hit-and-Run Crash on Sand Lake Road
August 31, 2023
- Two Killed When Emergency Helicopter Crashes in Pompano Beach
August 29, 2023
- Two People Killed, One Injured During Multi-Vehicle Crash in Ocala
August 28, 2023
- business5Mr. Cunningham is an excellent and knowledgeable attorney.
I would and have recommended Mr. Cunningham as an attorney. I am extremely happy with the service he has provided for me and my family. I will definately use Mr. Cunningham in the future if I ever need an attorney again.
- John, a Personal Injury client0.3