Dangerous Roadways / Poorly Maintained Roads
Although the majority of all motor vehicle accidents are caused by driver negligence, there are exceptions. One exception is when an automobile accident is caused by dangerous roadways or poorly maintained roads. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motor vehicle accident caused by a dangerous roadway, you may be able to hold the government entity responsible for that road’s maintenance liable for your injuries.
As a general rule, the government entity has a duty to design and maintain reasonably safe roadways. In line with this duty, they have the responsibility for fixing such defects as potholes and uneven surfaces that can cause a car to veer out of control or have an impact on a driver’s ability to maintain control of the vehicle. More so, the government has a duty to design safe roads and should, wherever possible, avoid dangerous slopes, dips and curves – particularly near on and off ramps. They must also provide proper signage along the entire roadway.
Your Legal Right to Compensation
When you suffer an injury as a result of a dangerous or poorly maintained road, you can file a civil lawsuit against the responsible governing body. In your legal action, you can seek compensation for:
- Emergency room costs
- Past, current and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Disability coverage
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Long-term care
In order to receive this compensation, the court will look at such factors as:
- Did the road’s condition cause the accident?
- Did the accident cause the injury?
- Was the government aware of the problem?
- Was there ample time to fix the problem?
- Is there a history of similar accidents happening along this same stretch of roadway?
If the answer to any of these factors is ‘yes’, then you likely have a legitimate claim for compensation. In order to ensure you receive all the compensation you are entitled to, it is advised that you seek the services of an experienced motor vehicle accident attorney.
Since 1977, James Cunningham has been helping motor vehicle accident victims receive justice and fair compensation for their injuries. To ensure you get the compensation you deserve for your motor vehicle accident injuries, contact the Law Offices of James O. Cunningham, P.A., at 877-FL-INJURY (877-354-6587) for a free initial consultation.
- New Port Richey Man Killed While Crossing Rowan Road in a Motorized Wheelchair
October 16, 2021
- Three-Car Crash in Marion County Kills 56-Year-Old SUV Driver
October 15, 2021
- Kissimmee Man Killed During Rear-End Collision with Tractor-Trailer on I-4
October 13, 2021
- Deltona Biker Dies After a Head-on Collision with a Pickup Truck in Volusia County
October 12, 2021
- Teen Driver in Tampa Arrested for Head-On Collision with Off-Duty Officer
October 11, 2021
- Florida Trooper Almost Killed During a Three-Car Collision in Palm Beach County
October 10, 2021
- business5Mr. Cunningham is an excellent and knowledgeable attorney.
I would and have recommended Mr. Cunningham as an attorney. I am extremely happy with the service he has provided for me and my family. I will definately use Mr. Cunningham in the future if I ever need an attorney again.
- John, a Personal Injury client0.3