skip to content
Home Frequently Asked Questions Motor Vehicle Accident FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions about Motor Vehicle Accidents

Here is a list of frequently asked questions concerning what you should do after a car accident.

Am I supposed to call the police?

Contacting the police is usually a good idea after a motor vehicle accident. Police reports document any injuries and damages sustained in the accident, as well as mapping out the liability on the parts of the drivers. In addition, the automobile insurance companies will want to see a law enforcement report.

Do I have to exchange information?

Yes. Get the full name and contact information for the other driver, passengers and any witnesses. You should also make note of the license plate number of the other driver’s car, and get the other driver’s license number.

I’m just a little shaken up. Should I see a doctor?

If you feel the slightest bit out of the ordinary, you may be more than just “a little shaken up.” Some serious injuries initially present very insignificant symptoms, such as blurring of vision, mild headache and dizziness. Take care of yourself and see a doctor if you experience symptoms, no matter how mild.

Do I need to take pictures?

Yes. A photographic record of the accident scene is an invaluable aid to protecting your rights and recovering a fair and just amount to cover the costs of vehicle repair, medical expenses and other damages. If you are not injured or are not caring for someone who is injured, take photos of your vehicle and the crash scene.

Do I have to contact my insurance company?

Absolutely. You are required to notify your insurance company if you have been involved in an auto accident.

Do I have to talk to the other driver’s insurance company?

No. You should be very careful discussing your car accident with anyone except your insurance company, your attorney and the police.

Should I contact an attorney?

Yes. If you or someone you care for is injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may be able to recover, among other things, medical treatment costs, lost income, and pain and suffering. James O. Cunningham is a Florida auto accident lawyer with over 30 years experience fighting for fair compensation for auto accident victims. Please contact the Florida Law Offices of James O. Cunningham, P.A. today and set up a consultation about your case.

Do I Have A Case?

padlock 100% Secure and Confidential

Martindale Hubbell | Highest Ethical standing
  • 5 StarsWalt Disney World Claims Department Employee

    “I was involved in a motor vehicle accident where the other driver ran a red light and my car was a total loss. I was referred to James Cunningham due to the fact that our attorney’s have been very impressed with James Cunningham’s work. This fact turned out to be very true as Mr. Cunningham helped me win my case to a full and maximum settlement.”

    - a Personal Injury client
  • Bar Register Preeminent Lawyers
  • The Florida Bar Board Certified
  • NBLSC Board Certified Lawyers
  • Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Lead Counsel Rated
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb
  • The Florida Bar Certified Civil Trial Lawyer
  • Avvo Clients' Choice Personal Injury
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb Top Attorney Personal Injury
  • Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent High Ethical Standing
  • The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
  • Super Lawyers
  • Florida Legal Elite

Client Testimonials

5 StarsGreat Service (auto accident)
After totalling my vehicle my father recommended I retain Mr. Cunningham. A little online research lead us to Mr. Cunningham who made this case an easy process and educational. I recommend Jim Cunningham. He is doing a great service. Tyrone, an Auto Accident Client

5 StarsOutstanding Attorney
I was in an automobile accident and didn't know where to turn. My son-in-law recommended James Cunningham and I am so happy I took his advice. James and his staff were very professional and compassionate in guiding me through a difficult time. I highly recommend him. Hilda, an Auto Accident Client

5 StarsExcellent Service
Mr Cunninghan was a consientious, competant attorney and very professional. His service was excellent and we would recommend him highly. Barbara his assistance was also excellent in her services to us both. Lawrence, a Car Accident client

Read Reviews

Request a free 30-minute case evaluation with attorney James O. Cunningham. Request Free Evaluation

Close Form

Receive a free case evaluation.

All submissions are personally reviewed by attorney James O. Cunningham within hours.

padlock 100% Secure and Confidential