Illnesses from Swimming Pools and Hot Tubs
Legionella is one of the most common causes of waterborne diseases among humans. Legionella itself is a germ that causes legionellosis, a specific type of pneumonia commonly referred to as Legionnaires’ disease. Every year up to 18,000 people are hospitalized as a result of catching Legionnaires’ disease. Although in most cases the disease can be successfully treated with antibiotics, in some instances it can cause serious illness or even death.
Unlike most diseases, Legionella is not spread from person to person. As the germ flourishes in warm water, Legionnaires’ disease is commonly associated with hot tubs or swimming pools that are not properly cleaned or disinfected. A person thus becomes infected when they breathe in the steam or mist of a contaminated hot tub or pool. Needless to say, cruise ship hot tubs and pools are notorious for being sources of Legionnaires’ disease.
If you or a loved one has suffered from Legionnaires’ disease while on a cruise, you can hold the cruise ship liable for your injuries and file a legal claim for compensation. This is because a cruise ship has a responsibility to ensure the safety and well-being of their passengers, which includes properly cleaning hot tubs and pools. To do this, the cruise ship is required to take proper steps to ensure that the hot tub has the right disinfectant and pH levels needed to kill the germs.
It is highly advised that if you intend to file a claim against a cruise ship for Legionnaires’ disease, you first contact an attorney experienced in the area. Proving a claim can be difficult, and an experienced cruise ship attorney will assist you in asking the right questions and gathering the right evidence. For example, during discovery your attorney will want to find the answers to questions like:
- When was the last health inspection and what were the results?
- Are disinfectant and pH levels checked twice per day?
- Are disinfectant and pH levels checked more often when the hot tub is in high use?
- Does the cruise ship staff regularly perform such maintenance activities as removing slime and biofilm via scrubbing, replacing the water filter, and replacing the water?
If you have suffered from Legionnaires’ disease as a result of an unsanitary hot tub or pool on a cruise ship, then you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries. Since 1977, James Cunningham has been helping cruise ship accident victims receive justice and fair compensation for Legionnaires’ disease. To ensure you get the compensation you deserve for your cruise ship accident injuries, contact the Law Offices of James O. Cunningham, P.A., at 877-FL-INJURY (877-354-6587) for a free initial consultation.
Types of Cruise Ship Accidents & Injuries
Personal Injury Blog
- Two Injured and One Killed During Intersection Accident in Largo
May 31, 2023
- Orange City Motorcyclist Severely Injured During Crash on S.R. 100
May 30, 2023
- Local Resident Killed During Crash with Pickup in Leesburg
May 27, 2023
- Pedestrian Accident Seriously Injures Citrus County Deputy
May 25, 2023
- Street Racing Crash Kills Pickup Truck Driver in Hillsborough County
May 24, 2023
- Polk County Hit-and-Run on U.S. 27 Severely Injures Three People
May 23, 2023
Verdicts & Settlements
- business5Mr. Cunningham is an excellent and knowledgeable attorney.
I would and have recommended Mr. Cunningham as an attorney. I am extremely happy with the service he has provided for me and my family. I will definately use Mr. Cunningham in the future if I ever need an attorney again.
- John, a Personal Injury client0.3