blog home Personal Injury Injured Daytona NASCAR Fans Begin Hiring Injury Lawyers

Injured Daytona NASCAR Fans Begin Hiring Injury Lawyers

By Orlando Personal Injury Attorney on March 3, 2013

Two racing fans, who were injured by flying debris from a multi-car accident at Daytona International Speedway, recently announced that they have retained legal counsel in preparation for seeking damages in a personal injury lawsuit. The spectacular accident that injured the two fans and at least 26 more occurred on Feb. 23 during the Nationwide Series Drive4COPD 300. The crash occurred on the final curve of the race and involved a dozen racecars. The high-speed impact of the racecars flung debris over a 22-foot-high fence built in 2010. Crash debris also injured spectators through a hole in the fence caused by one of the cars, which crashed into and shredded parts of the fence during the accident.

Speedway president Joie Chitwood and track workers scrambled to get the track cleared of crash debris and the fence repaired before the Daytona 500 scheduled for the next day.

“At 8 a.m., we met with NASCAR, we reviewed all of the repairs that we made last evening,” Chitwood told reporters the morning after the accident. “We worked late into the evening and are prepared to go racing today.”

The crash occurred when several racecars traveling around 175 mph became entangled, causing a chain-reaction accident that threw vehicles and debris high into the air, with some debris reaching the second level of the stands.

Chitwood told reporters that the damaged fence at Daytona had been replaced and strengthened in 2010 after a similar accident at Talladega Superspeedway. In that accident, a racecar struck the fence at a high rate of speed and showered fans with debris, injuring seven.

At this point, it is unclear whether or not the injured fans have legitimate grounds to file a personal injury lawsuit against Daytona Speedway, as tickets to auto races, concerts, sporting events and other events often have a disclaimer printed on the back. Frequently, this disclaimer shields the venue and event participants from liability in the event that an attendee suffers an injury. That said, it a good idea for them and any injured person to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney anyway, to learn about the law, their rights under the law and their legal options, if any.

If you have been injured and are unsure whether or not you have grounds to seek damages, contact Orlando personal injury attorney James O. Cunningham today, and schedule a free consultation to discuss your case. He will answer all your questions, advise you of your rights and tell you whether or not you have a legitimate right to seek damages. Call him today at 877-FL-INJURY (877-354-6587) to schedule your free consultation with an Orlando personal injury lawyer with nearly 40 years of experience helping injured people receive the fair and just compensation they deserve.

James O. Cunningham

Since 1977, personal injury lawyer James Cunningham has provided effective legal advocacy to people who are injured through the negligent actions of another person or entity throughout the Central Florida area. He fights to obtain recoveries for his clients’ physical and emotional pain and suffering and pursues his clients’ personal injury cases with a commitment to excellence and impeccable preparation.

Connect with James O. Cunningham on Google+

Related Articles:

Martindale Hubbell | Highest Ethical standing

Client Testimonials

5 StarsMr. Cunningham is an excellent and knowledgeable attorney.
I would and have recommended Mr. Cunningham as an attorney. I am extremely happy with the service he has provided for me and my family. I will definately use Mr. Cunningham in the future if I ever need an attorney again. John, a Personal Injury client

Read Reviews