Orlando personal injury lawyer James O. Cunningham has seen Orange County and the rest of our state change in many ways since he began practicing law in 1977. Some changes have been for the better, and others have been decidedly for the worse. Our state’s auto accident statistics would definitely fall in the latter category. To illustrate the scope of Florida’s auto accident problems, consider the following 2010 auto accident statistics:
- There were an astonishing 235,461 auto accidents throughout Florida for an average of 645 accidents each day.
- There were 2,261 fatal auto accidents that claimed the lives of 2,444 people.
- At least 195,104 people were injured seriously enough in these accidents to warrant an emergency room visit.
Alcohol-Related Florida Auto Accidents for 2010
There were 17,748 alcohol-related auto accidents in Florida last year, a truly frightening number when you consider that everyone knows about the dangers of drunk driving. Yet, in spite of knowing that driving while drunk is reckless and negligent, tens of thousands of Florida drivers got behind the wheel after drinking. Consider the following Florida drunk driving accident statistics:
- There were 7,825 accidents that resulted in injuries.
- 794 Floridians were killed.
- 12,168 people were injured.
- 2010’s numbers are down 11.64 percent from the number of alcohol-related accidents in 2009.
Drug-Related Florida Auto Accidents for 2010
Drivers under the influence of drugs are also a persistent problem on Florida roadways. When we hear of a drug-related auto accident, we often think of illegal drugs. While there are certainly drivers out there who are under the influence of cocaine, marijuana, methamphetamine and other illegal drugs, prescription medication abuse among drivers is actually a much larger problem and greater danger. To illustrate the scope of the problem of Florida drivers impaired by drugs of all kinds, consider the following drug-related auto accident statistics for 2010:
- There were 1,236 drug-related auto accidents.
- 106 people were killed in drug-related accidents.
- 957 people were injured in drug-related accidents.
The auto accident statistics listed above are a small fraction of the auto accident numbers for Florida in 2010. If you or a family member is injured in an auto accident caused by a negligent driver and you want to seek legal action to recover damages, contact Orlando personal injury attorney James O. Cunningham today to schedule a free consultation. Mr. Cunningham has law offices conveniently located throughout our state, so contact him today toll-free at 888-425-2004 to schedule a consultation at the office nearest you.
James O. Cunningham
Since 1977, personal injury lawyer James Cunningham has provided effective legal advocacy to people who are injured through the negligent actions of another person or entity throughout the Central Florida area. He fights to obtain recoveries for his clients’ physical and emotional pain and suffering and pursues his clients’ personal injury cases with a commitment to excellence and impeccable preparation.
Connect with James O. Cunningham on Google+