A 24-year-old male from Palm Bay, Florida died this week following an automobile crash. According to the Florida Highway Patrol (FHP), the crash happened in the early evening on State Road 520 in Orange County, just about one mile south of James Creek Road. The victim was driving his 2013 Hyundai east when he failed to slow down as he approached a semi-truck ahead of him. His car hit the back of the trailer, causing the crash that killed him. The 34-year-old Miami man driving the semi-truck was not hurt.
Although not always deadly, rear end collisions such as the one here are all too common. According to the National Safety Council, out of the 6 million car accidents that happen every year, 2.5 million are the result of a rear end collision. In the case at hand, the cause of the rear end collision was tailgating, or driving too closely behind the vehicle ahead. However, there are many causes of rear end collisions, including:
- Distracted driving (i.e., texting, eating, talking with passengers)
- Driving while intoxicated
- Poor weather conditions
- Defects in the road (i.e., potholes, obscured stop signs, broken traffic light)
- Objects on the road (i.e., animals, soccer balls, children, jaywalking pedestrian)
- Suddenly stopping when passing a police officer or speed trap
- Accidents on the road
- Broken brake lights
- A broken down car on the road
Regardless of how the accident happened – and no matter how fast the vehicle was driving – rear end collisions often result in injuries, or even death. Common rear end collision accident injuries include:
- Back injuries (i.e., herniated disk)
- Face and head injuries when an airbag goes off
- Cuts, bruises and scrapes
- Wrist, finger, hand and arm injuries
- Seatbelt injuries to the torso and/or skin
If you or a loved one have been involved in an Orlando rear end auto accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Regardless of how severe your injuries are, it is highly advised that you start by talking to an experienced Orlando personal injury attorney. Call the Law Offices of James O. Cunningham, P.A. today and schedule your free initial consultation.
James O. Cunningham
Since 1977, personal injury lawyer James Cunningham has provided effective legal advocacy to people who are injured through the negligent actions of another person or entity throughout the Central Florida area. He fights to obtain recoveries for his clients’ physical and emotional pain and suffering and pursues his clients’ personal injury cases with a commitment to excellence and impeccable preparation.
Connect with James O. Cunningham on Google+